Articles By Rich Mcvey
Here are some of our favorite jokes about Michigan State's biggest rivals.
• What's the difference between a litter of puppies and Michigan fans? Eventually puppies grow up and stop whining.
• Did you hear about the new honor system at Michigan? Yes, your Honor. No, your Honor.
• How many Michigan freshmen does it take to change a light bulb? None. That’s a sophomore course.
• How does a Minnesota fan count to 10? 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4…..
• How many Michigan fans does it take to change a flat tire? Just one . . . unless it’s a blowout, then they all show up!
• What do Michigan fans use for birth control? Their personalities.
• What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of a Nebraska fan? A tattoo.
• What do you call 20 Michigan fans skydiving from an airplane? Skeet.
• Things you will never hear a Michigan fan say: I just couldn’t find a thing at Walmart today.
Related Michigan State Content
Michigan State Spartans 2012 Team Preview
Michigan State Spartans Top 10 Players for 2012
What Will Michigan State's Record in Legends Division Play Be in 2012?
Michigan State's 10 Greatest Players Since 1967
The Greatest Moments in Michigan State Football History
Michigan State Cheerleader Gallery
Michigan State Spartans 2012 Team Predictions
Here are some of our favorite jokes about Notre Dame's biggest rivals.
• What happens when Lane Kiffin takes Viagra? He gets taller.
• How many USC football players does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but he gets four academic credits for it.
• What's the difference between a litter of puppies and USC fans? Eventually puppies grow up and stop whining.
• What does the average USC football player get on his SAT? Drool.
• What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of a Michigan State fan? A tattoo.
• Did you hear about the new honor system at USC? Yes, your Honor. No, your Honor.
• What do USC fans use for birth control? Their personalities.
• What do you call 20 USC fans skydiving from an airplane? Skeet.
• Things you will never hear a Michigan State fan say: I have reviewed your application.
• Things you will never hear a Michigan fan say: I just couldn’t find a thing at Walmart today.
We love the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. And we really love it when they put on bikinis and go to some exotic land and take pictures for their 2013 Swimsuit Calendar. The best part is that in the past week they've shared tons of behind-the-scene shots of their escapades in Mexico on Twitter and Facebook. To save you the time of looking at the less bikini-clad shots, we rounded up our favorite shots from their fun in the sun. If this is any indication, the calendar is going to be amazing.
This is a cool visual that gives some historical comparisons of sports leagues around the world and each league's dominant teams. It's amazing to see how the Yankees have dominated MLB, and the Montreal Canadiens have dominated the NHL over the years. And let's not forget that the Bayern Munich appear to be unstoppable in the German Bundesliga...whatever the heck that is.
CLICK IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Here are some of our favorite jokes about TCU's biggest rivals.
• What does a SMU fan do when the Mustangs win the BCS championship? He turns off the PlayStation.
• How many Baylor fans does it take to change a flat tire? Just one . . . unless it’s a blowout, then they all show up!
• Where was O.J. headed in the white Bronco? Texas Tech. He knew that the police would never look there for a Heisman Trophy winner.
• What's the difference between a litter of puppies and Texas fans? Eventually puppies grow up and stop whining.
• Why don’t Texas Tech fans eat barbecue beans? Because they keep falling through the holes in the grill.
• What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of a Baylor fan? A tattoo.
• Did you hear what happened to the Texas fan when he found out that 90% of all car accidents occur within five miles of home? He moved.
• Did you hear that Texas Tech's football team doesn't have a website? The Red Raiders can't string three "Ws" together.
• Things you will never hear a Baylor fan say: I have reviewed your application.
• You know you’re from Lubbock if... Someone asks to see your ID and you show them your belt buckle.
Related TCU Content
2012 TCU Horned Frogs Team Preview
TCU Horned Frogs Top 10 Players for 2012
TCU Horned Frogs 2012 Team Predictions
TCU Horned Frogs Cheerleader Gallery
TCU Horned Frogs 10 Greatest Players Since 1967
The Greatest Moments in TCU Football History
How Many Big 12 Games will TCU Win in 2012?
Here are some of our favorite jokes about the Louisville Cardinals' biggest rivals.
• How many Kentucky football players does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but he gets four academic credits for it.
• The Foo Fighters are playing at Commonwealth Stadium this fall. They're 10-point favorites.
• What does the average Kentucky football player get on his SAT? Drool.
• What does a Kentucky fan do when the Wildcats win the BCS championship? He turns off the PlayStation.
• A man in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and asks, "Wanna hear a Kentucky joke?" The guy next to him replies, "Look, fella, I'm six feet tall, 200 pounds, and I'm a Kentucky grad. The guy next to me is 6-2, 225, and he's a Kentucky grad. The big dude next to him is 6-5, weighs 250, and he's a Kentucky grad. You still wanna tell that joke?" The first man replies: "Not if I'm gonna have to explain it three times."
• What do you call a Wildcat in a BCS bowl game? A referee.
• How does a Kentucky fan count to 10? 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4…
• What do Kentucky fans use for birth control? Their personalities.
• How do you get a Kentucky graduate off your front porch? You pay for the pizza.
• What do you call 20 Kentucky fans skydiving from an airplane?
Related Louisville Content
Louisville Cardinals 2012 Team Preview
Louisville Cardinals Top 10 Players for 2012
Can Louisville Finish Big East Play Unbeaten in 2012?
The Greatest Moments in Louisville Football History
Louisville Cardinals Top 10 Greatest Players Since 1967
Louisville Cardinals Cheerleader Gallery
Louisville Cardinals 2012 Team Predictions
There’s a good chance that Junior Seau will one day be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame, possibly as early as 2014. Sadly, should the former linebacker receive this illustrious honor, he won’t be there to accept it in person.
Seau, who played 20 seasons in the NFL, was found dead earlier today at his Oceanside home in southern California. He was 43.
While the cause of his death has not been confirmed, reports say that police responded to a shooting at Seau’s southern California home this morning. When they arrived, they found Seau with a gunshot wound to his chest and a handgun lying nearby. His death is being investigated as a suicide.
Seau, who was born in San Diego, played for USC in college where he was an unanimous All-American his junior year. He was drafted by his hometown Chargers with the fifth overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft and went on to play 13 seasons for them before moving on to Miami for three seasons.
While in San Diego, Seau was invited to 12 consecutive Pro Bowls from 1991-2002 and also was named a first-team All-Pro six times during that same span. He helped the Chargers get to the Super Bowl in 1995, where they lost to the 49ers in Super Bowl XXIX. It was during that 1994 season that Seau was also named the recipient of the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year award.
The Chargers traded Seau to the Dolphins in April 2003 and he spent three injury-plagued seasons in Miami. The Dolphins released Seau in March 2006, and he announced his retirement in August after signing a one-day contract with the Chargers.
He had a change of heart, however, signing with New England just four days later. Seau stayed with the Patriots for four seasons, including the 2007 season that saw the team came up one game short of a history-making undefeated season as the Patriots fell to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII.
The only thing really missing from Seau’s resume is that elusive Super Bowl ring, which he had two chances to get. Otherwise, anyone who watched the charismatic, hard-hitting linebacker play, especially during his prime, knows that he was happiest when he was on the field.
Tragically, that did not appear to be the case off the field. In 2010, Seau was involved in a single-car accident where he survived a 30-foot plunge in his SUV off of a cliff in Carlsbad. Adding to the mystery and intrigue of that incident was the fact that he had been arrested just hours earlier on suspicion of assaulting his 25-year-old girlfriend at his home. He was not charged in the incident.
Seau is just the latest in an increasing number of former NFL players to die at a young age. While more information and revelations related to his tragic passing will certainly come to light in the near future, this day and the circumstances surrounding it will almost certainly come up again should Seau get an invitation to join the other greats in Canton. It’s truly a shame that he won’t be around to enjoy it.
NASCAR driver Clint Bowyer will be playing to the crowd this weekend as he rolls into Talladega. Bowyer tweeted a picture of his custom helmet, which pays homage to the Alabama Crimson Tide and their legendary coach Paul "Bear" Bryant. The helmet will match his No. 15 Toyota, which will also be decked out in the crimson colors. According to Bowyer, the helmet is "Pretty Bitchin!" We have to agree.
Here are some of our favorite jokes about Boise State's biggest rivals.
• What does the average Vandals football player get on his SAT? Drool.
• How many Nevada freshmen does it take to change a light bulb None. That’s a sophomore course.
• A man in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and asks, "Wanna hear a University of Idaho joke?" The guy next to him replies, "Look, fella, I'm six feet tall, 200 pounds, and I'm an Idaho grad. The guy next to me is 6-2, 225, and he's an Idaho grad. The big dude next to him is 6-5, weighs 250, and he's an Idaho grad. You still wanna tell that joke?" The first man replies: "Not if I'm gonna have to explain it three times."
• How many Vandals fans does it take to change a flat tire? Just one . . . unless it’s a blowout, then they all show up!
• Did you hear what happened to the Idaho State fan when he found out that 90% of all car accidents occur within five miles of home? He moved.
• Why is Idaho replacing the turf at the Kibbie Dome with cardboard? The Vandals always look better on paper.
• Things you will never hear a Vandals fan say: I have reviewed your application.
• Why don’t Idaho State fans eat barbecue beans? Because they keep falling through the holes in the grill.
• Things you will never hear an Vandals fan say: I just couldn’t find a thing at Walmart today.
• What's the difference between an Idaho football player and a dollar? You can get four quarters out of a dollar.
Here are some of our favorite jokes about Washington Huskies' biggest rivals.
• The Foo Fighters are playing Martin Stadium this fall. They're 10-point favorites.
• How many Wazzu football players does it take to change a light bulb? Just one, but he gets four academic credits for it.
• What's the difference between a litter of puppies and Oregon fans? Eventually puppies grow up and stop whining.
• What do you get when you cross Washington State with a groundhog? Six more weeks of bad football.
• What do you call a beautiful woman on the arm of a Washington State fan? A Tattoo.
• What happens when Lane Kiffin takes Viagra? He gets taller.
• What do you call 20 Wazzu fans skydiving from an airplane?
• Did you hear that Washington State’s football team doesn't have a website? The Cougars can't string three "Ws" together.
• How does a Wazzu fan count to 10? 0-1, 0-2, 0-3, 0-4…
• Why do Oregon football players like smart women? Opposites attract.
Related Washington Content
Washington Huskies Cheerleader Gallery
Washington Huskies 2012 Team Preview
Washington Huskies Top 10 Players for 2012
Washington Huskies 2012 Team Predictions
Can Washington Challenge Oregon for the Pac-12 North Title?
Washington Huskies Top 10 Greatest Players Since 1967
Greatest Moments in Washington Football History
You've got to love crazy sports fans with colorful poster boards, fat magic markers and no fear of public humiliation. Apparently there are a few in Phoenix, who gathered for the Suns post-game show to display their love for their team and Steve Nash, who may have played his final game as a member of the Suns. Fans made signs that included "Go Suns," "Let's Get Nashty" and a giant penis drawing. Well done, Phoenix. Well done. Video is below.
If you want to grab a beer at a ballpark you better bring your wallet, especially if you're heading to Boston. Fenway Park has the highest coster per ounce of sudsy brew and a 12 oz plastic cup will set you back $7.25. By comparison, Chase Field—home of the D-Backs— charges $4. Look below to see the rundown of every MLB team across the country. Cheers!
Each week Athlon Sports looks back at the previous week's best baseball players in the American and National leagues, and recaps the most outstanding pitching performances. Here are last week's—April 16-22—standouts.
AL Player of the Week
Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers
The Rangers’ bats have been lively this season, to say the least, and Hamilton is leading the charge. Last week he hit .462 with a 1.324 OPS. He had three home runs, 11 RBIs and scored five times.
AL Pitcher of the Week
Phil Humber, Chicago White Sox
As if a perfect game weren’t enough, Humber put together two good starts last week, with an 0.63 ERA and WHIP. He pitched the 21st perfect game in major league history, and now has one complete game in his career. In fact, that was the first time he had ever pitched into the ninth inning.
NL Player of the Week
Freddie Freeman, Atlanta Braves
The Atlanta Braves are hot. With Michael Bourn getting on base and running, Freeman is enjoying hitting with runners in scoring position. Last week, Freeman drove home 14 runs with his .478 average. He hit three homers and five doubles.
NL Pitcher of the Week
Cory Luebke, San Diego Padres
Luebke has been one bright spot for the Padres this season. He won both starts last week, tossing 15 innings and allowing just eight hits and three walks. He struck out nine and posted an ERA of 0.60.
The newest trend on college football fields is the use of Twitter hashtags. Three teams have added hashtags to their field in recent times. The newest is the University of Arkansas, who joins Michigan and Mississippi State. Check them out below. (It's hard to believe universities would be so self-serving. By the way, follow us @AthlonSports.)
The University of Arkansas just added #GOHOGS to Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium in time for their spring game.
Mississippi State painted #HAILSTATE in an end zone during a game against Mississippi last fall.
Michigan painted the hashtag #GOBLUE in two places on the field for its annual spring football scrimmage.
The 2012 NFL schedule for the Dallas Cowboys has been released. Here's a weekly look that includes dates, times and television information.
Week 1—Sept. 5: @ New York Giants, 8:30 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 2—Sept. 16: @ Seattle Seahawks, 4:05 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 3—Sept. 23: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 4—Oct. 1: Chicago Bears, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Week 5—Oct. 7: BYE WEEK
Week 6—Oct. 14: @ Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 7—Oct. 21: @ Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 8—Oct. 28: New York Giants, 4:15 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 9—Nov. 4: @ Atlanta Falcons, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 10—Nov. 11: @ Philadelphia Eagles, 4:15 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 11—Nov. 18: Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 12—Nov. 22: Washington Redskins, 4:15 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 13—Dec. 2: Philadelphia Eagles, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 14—Dec. 9: @ Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 15—Dec. 16: Pittsburgh Steelers, 4:15 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 16—Dec. 23: New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
Week 17—Dec. 30: @ Washington Redskins, 1 p.m. ET, Fox
The 2012 NFL schedule for the Philadelphia Eagles has been released. Here's a weekly look that includes dates, times and television information for football fans.
Week 1—9/9: @Cleveland Browns 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 2—9/16: Baltimore Ravens 1 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 3—9/23: @ Arizona Cardinals 4:05 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 4—9/30: New York Giants 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 5—10/7: @ Pittsburgh Steelers 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 6—10/14: Detroit Lions 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 8—10/28: Atlanta Falcons 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 9—11/5: @ New Orleans Saints 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Week 10—11/11: Dallas Cowboys 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 11—11/18: @ Washington Redskins 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 12—11/26: Carolina Panthers. 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Week 13—12/2: @ Dallas Cowboys 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 14—12/9: @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 15—12/13: Cincinnati Bengals 8:20 p.m. ET, NFL Network
Week 16—12/23: Washington Redskins 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 17—12/30: @ New York Giants 1 p.m. ET, FOX
The 2012 NFL schedule for the Washington Redskins has been released. Here's a weekly look that includes dates, times and television information.
Week 1—9/9: @ New Orleans Saints, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 2—9/16: @ St. Louis Rams, 4:05 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 3—9/23: Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 4—9/30: @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 5—10/7: Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 6—10/14: Minnesota Vikings, 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 7—10/21: @ New York Giants, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 8—10/28: @ Pittsburgh Steelers, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 9—11/4: Carolina Panthers, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 10: BYE WEEK
Week 11—11/18: Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 12—11/22: @ Dallas Cowboys, 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 13—12/3: New York Giants, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Week 14—12/9: Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 15—12/16: @ Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 16—12/23: @ Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 17—12/30: Dallas Cowboys, 1 ET, FOX
The 2012 NFL schedule for the New York Giants has been released. Here's a weekly look that includes dates, times and television information.
Week 1—9/5: Dallas Cowboys 8:30 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 2—9/16: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 3—9/20: @ Carolina Panthers, 8:20 p.m. ET, NFL Network
Week 4—9/30: @ Philadelphia Eagles, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 5—10/7: Cleveland Browns, 1 p.m. ET, CBS
Week 6—10/14: @ San Francisco 49ers, 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 7—10/21: Washington Redskins, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 8—10/28: @ Dallas Cowboys, 4:15 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 9—11/4: Pittsburgh Steelers, 4:15 p.m. ET CBS
Week 10—11/11: @ Cincinnati Bengals, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 11—Bye Week
Week 12—11/25: Green Bay Packers, 8:20 p.m. ET, NBC
Week 13—12/3: @Washington Redskins, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Week 14—12/9: New Orleans Saints, 4:15 p.m. ET FOX
Week 15—12/16: @Atlanta Falcons, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 16—12/23: @ Baltimore Ravens, 1 p.m. ET, FOX
Week 17—12/30: Philadelphia Eagles, 1 p.m. EST, FOX
Last week Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino got in hot water after he wrecked his motorcycle and didn't mention to school officials that he had a hot 25-year-old blonde riding on the back. The blonde had been hired by Petrino to work at the university and was also having an "inappropriate relationship" with the old, married ball coach.
To mark the occasion of massive stupidity/awesomeness, someone has created a T-shirt. The front says, "Bobby Petrino Motorcyle Club" and the back says "Fayetteville, AR — For Now," noting the likelihood that Petrino could be out of a job.
Personally, we think the back should say, "If you can read this, the blonde fell off." T-shirts are below, and can be bought for $32 here.
September's Tweet This Caption (PLAY NOW)
Can you think of a funny caption for the photo above? If so, follow us on Twitter @AthlonSports, tweet a funny caption with the hashtag #athloncaption and we'll select our favorite to win a $200 Athlon Sports Collectibles gift certificate.
August's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Phillip Freeman Jr. who won August's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
Even dropping players from planes could not stop Newton & the Panthers that day.
July's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Rich Nestor of Chicago who won July's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
The side-effects of painting your football field blue
June's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Phillip Thomas Duck of Red Bank, N.J., who won June's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
Who would've known Mitt Romney had such bad seats...
May's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Paul Matthies of Gatesville, Texas, who won May's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
"Say it ain't so, Shirtless Joe!"
April's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Dedric Boys of Chicago, who won April's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
"My head's just not in the game."
March's Tweet This Caption Winner
Congratulations to Brad Hughes of Jonesboro, Ark., who won March's Tweet This Caption contest in Athlon Sports—the nation's largest sports magazine.
The winning caption:
"Hey Tony, this guy said he was your father!"
The Masters officially kicks off today. Where else can you see a group of grown men stressing out while hitting a little round ball for days on end, all in search of a green jacket that their significant other will never let them wear in public? Still, we'll be tuned in the entire time. But to get us in the right frame of mind, we put together some of the most gorgeous girls golfing (or at least pretending to golf) that we could find on the internet. And fortunately, not one is wearing a green jacket.
Kyle Stanley had come oh-so-close. He had the 2011 John Deere Classic in his hip pocket after a final-round 66, only to have Steve Stricker pick that pocket with a spectacular bunker shot on the 18th hole. And then, in even more heartbreaking fashion, Stanley saw the 2012 Farmers Insurance Open trophy slip through his fingers with a playoff loss to Brandt Snedeker. But persistence pays off, as Stanley proved with his stunning come-from-behind win at the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Behind by eight shots when the final day began, Stanley shot a stunning 65 to overtake Spencer Levin and earn his first PGA Tour win. Shot by shot on a magical Sunday, Stanley transformed his tomorrows.
“You go from a very low point to a high point,” Stanley said after the biggest day of his young career. “I’m not sure I expected to maybe recover this quickly. ... I think the biggest challenge was seeing if I could put last week behind me. I think I did.”
Stanley stands at the vanguard of young players on the verge of PGA Tour dominance, players who challenge fairways and attack flags with style and confidence.
A former ACC Player of the Year at Clemson, the 24-year-old Stanley did everything but win last season. He had four top 10s and nine top 25s. He finished 55th on the PGA Tour money list and earned more than $1.5 million.
There will be adjustments in 2012. Stanley lost caddie Bobby Brown, who went back to his former boss Dustin Johnson. But one thing won’t change — Stanley’s commitment to winning.
“The biggest thing is I really, really care about what I do out on the golf course,” he said, “and sometimes I care to a fault. I’ve just got to relax a little bit and trust in my preparation.”
Rickie Fowler is another of those “Young Guns” loaded for bear in 2012. Fowler already is a well-known name, with his colorful attire, his 2010 Ryder Cup appearance and his “damn the torpedoes” approach. A Walker Cup teammate to Stanley in 2007, Fowler was the PGA Tour Rookie of the Year in 2010 and became the youngest U.S. player ever to compete in the Ryder Cup. He shared some spotlight again last summer when he finished fifth at the British Open. All the notoriety and accomplishments notwithstanding, he is still chasing his first PGA Tour win.
For the former Oklahoma State star, seeing young players like 2011 PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley crack the shell offers inspiration. “It’s a bit of motivation for myself to kind of stand up and get my game where I want to it to be and be in contention,” Fowler, 23, said. “I feel like that’s the reason why a lot of us play, is we love being in contention and winning golf tournaments.”
Bud Cauley, 21, is another newcomer hoping to parlay a fearless game into professional success. A three-time All-American at the University of Alabama, Cauley defeated Fowler, then the No. 1-ranked amateur in the world, at the 2009 U.S. Amateur.
Cauley turned pro after the NCAA Championships last spring and earned $735,150 in eight starts, good enough to skip Q-school and go directly to the PGA Tour. But Cauley knows that distinction simply opens the door. He has to be successful to stick around, and he is headed in the right direction with three top-30 finishes in his first three starts of 2012.
There were 14 first-time winners on the PGA Tour last season. In 2012, there could be at least three more. “I can’t speak for anyone else, but obviously with what the guys did last year, a lot of the rookies had a lot of success,” Cauley said. “You go out there and everyone has the same opportunity to win and just everyone does their own specific things in their games to try to be successful.”
As Stanley proved, for Fowler and Cauley, it’s only a matter of time.
Nike, the NFL's official new apparel provider, didn't take long to shake things up. The most notable change so far being the Seattle Seahawks' new uniforms, which were revealed today, along with the rest of the league. Seattle's uniforms got the most significant revamp with new colors and styling from top to bottom. Check out more photos at the team's website.
To see all 32 new team uniforms, click here.
CBS Sports flashed a headline this morning mocking Kentucky sensation Anthony Davis' now famous uni-brow by proclaiming: "Take A Brow." We had to share it. The screenshot is below.
by Dustin Long
Kasey Kahne is not panicking about the start to his season. He’s relieved, in a way, heading into this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Martinsville Speedway even though he’s 27th in championship standings.
Kahne feels better after a season-best 14th at Auto Club Speedway on Sunday. A poor finish might have dropped him outside the top 35 in the car owner standings, meaning he would not have been guaranteed a starting spot at Martinsville.
“I was a little worried at California,” Kahne said Tuesday afternoon. “If we had one more bad race there, we would have been fighting for a (starting) position at Martinsville, which would have been unheard of for us.”
While Kahne has not had the results in his first year with Hendrick Motorsports, his car has shown speed. That provides hope. Success will come when he can avoid trouble.
His season, so far, has been a litany of misfortune.
His Daytona 500 ended early because of a crash and he placed 29th. He hit the wall early at Phoenix and limped to a 34th-place finish. He crashed early at Bristol and finished 37th. His best finish before Sunday was 19th at Las Vegas.
Even after Sunday’s finish, Kahne wasn’t thrilled, writing on Twitter: “Pissed I ran bad. Happy my car is in one piece.”
Kahne, who started fifth at Auto Club Speedway, began sliding back in the pack shortly after the green flag flew.
“I started off really loose and was sliding around a lot and the race got over too quick,” Kahne said. “We didn’t have enough time to get the car right. By the end of it we were running probably seventh-place lap times, but we were so far behind because of all the green-flag laps. We were getting better. We had made a lot of gains. We just needed 200 laps. The rain came and we didn’t get it.”
He finished and that’s something considering his early woes.
Kahne heads to Martinsville 68 points out of 10th place in the points — the last spot guaranteed to make the Chase. A year ago, Brad Keselowski was 50 points out of 10th at this point. Keselowski fell further back during the summer and still made the Chase via the wildcard.
So there’s no reason yet for Kahne to panic.
“I’ve handled it pretty well,” he said of his struggles. “The biggest reason why is how fast our cars are and the way they feel. I think everything is there. The engines run incredibly good compared to what I have had in the past.
“I knew going in just because I was going to Hendrick Motorsports didn’t mean I was going to start winning more races. It’s still a huge team effort. There’s still a lot of things you have to do right in order to run up front and contend for those wins. It takes a little bit of time. I think we’re pretty good as a team. Hopefully, we can start running in the top 10.”
NEW FORMAT The Sprint All-Star race, which will be held May 19 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, will have a new format this year.
The 90-lap race will be divided into five segments. The first four will be 20 laps each with the final segment 10 laps.
Gone is the 10-minute break before the final segment. Instead, there will be a mandatory pit stop — with a twist.
The winners from the first four segments will move to the front of the field and be the first four cars to enter pit road for this stop. They’ll be followed by the rest of the field. The move was made to encourage drivers to race more for a win in the previous segments.
So the winner of the first segment will enter pit road first, followed by the winner of the second segment and so on. Should there be a repeat winner of segments, the second-place finisher in that segment moves up. Thus, if a driver wins the first two segments, he’ll be the first car in pit road (for winning the first segment) and the second-place car in the second segment will be the second car on pit road.
There will once again be a fan vote to add a driver to the All-Star Race. Also, the pit crew challenge on May 17 again will determine the order teams pick their pit stall for the all-star race.