8. Matt Kenseth Kenseth was Stewart’s main competition until — yes, you guessed it — the tank ran dry. And a little “help” from Travis Kvapil was salt in the wound.
9. Kyle Busch Busch seemed to have a decent car in Chicago, but could never gain the track position he needed to run up front. Oh yeah, he ran out of gas, too.
10. Kurt Busch Kurt says he’s in Jimmie Johnson’s head, but after listening to him rant to his team on the radio, I think Kurt’s pit crew is in Kurt’s head.
11. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Was a legit top-10 car at race’s end. That everyone ran out of fuel in front of him was icing on the cake.
12. Denny Hamlin What a difference a year makes.
13. Mark Martin 13th on back in the Horsepower Rankings is more or less irrelevant … much like on the Cup circuit!
14. AJ Allmendinger It wasn’t pretty at Chicago, but credit AJ for a month of solid runs.
15. Clint Bowyer Returning this week to New Hampshire. Also known to Bowyer as “the scene of the crime.”
Just off the lead pack: Marcos Ambrose, Greg Biffle, Kasey Kahne, David Ragan, Martin Truex Jr.
Agree with Matt’s rankings? Disagree? Post a comment below and tell him how you feel. You can also follow Matt on Twitter @MattTaliaferro