Kickoff for college football’s 2013 season is under 50 days away. And soon enough, teams will start reporting for fall practice and the official preparation for 2013 will get underway. However, before getting to fall practice, there’s one useless event that college football has to get through: Media Days.
With the SEC Media Days taking place on July 16-18, the offseason for college football is officially over. While these events had some purpose 10 years ago, the media days are mostly a waste of time for learning anything that’s actually important for this fall.
To help save you time from wading through all of the canned quotes, Athlon Sports has prepared the 10 coaching clichés that fans can expect to hear over the next few weeks, and what the coaches really mean.
1. We want to be multiple on offense and aggressive on defense. Translation: I'm trying to be vague about our schemes. However, most of our opponents already know what we do.
2. The JUCO transfer we brought in was unblockable (or unstoppable) all spring. Translation: Our JUCO recruits looked good against air.
3. We have three quarterbacks competing for time this fall. Translation: We don’t have a starting quarterback.
4. (When asked about the schedule): We just take one game at a time. We don’t look ahead to October, November or December.
Translation: We pretty much know who's going to beat us, so we'd rather not talk about that just yet.
5. We just want to play hard and compete each week. Translation: We may not be very good this year.
6. The new strength and conditioning coach has totally transformed our team this offseason. Translation: Our team was really lazy and fat last year.
7. With the new defensive scheme we are flying around to the ball. Last year, we had to read and react. Translation: Our defensive coordinator wasn't very good last year. The players were confused, and the coaching staff didn't do a good job of relating the plays to what's happening on the field. They had no clue what they were doing.
8. We don't worry about preseason predictions. No one knows our team better than us. Translation: We really look at preseason predictions. But I'm afraid to tell anyone.
9. Our players have been working harder than ever this summer, and there’s great leadership from our seniors coming out of the workouts. Translation: At least our players aren't sitting around playing Call of Duty or getting sent home from passing academy camps.
10. (When asked about this year’s recruiting class): We signed a great collection of young players this spring. We love the group of guys we signed this year. And the star rankings meant nothing to us in our evaluations. Translation: I admit: I do look at the recruiting services. And truthfully, I wasn't very pleased with our recruiting class when we had a bunch of two-star prospects commit last year.
MLB, News Spring training is underway, and the 2015 Major League Baseball is less than a month way. With the first pitch of 2015 fast approaching, Athlon Sports is taking a look at some of the key storylines...
College Basketball, News Syracuse basketball will never be the same. The NCAA committee on infractions hammered Syracuse on Friday, suspending coach Jim Boeheim for nine ACC games next season and restricting...
College Football, News What does the trophy case look like for one of the most accomplished college football players of the last few years? Digital journalists Matt Walks and Carli Krueger visualized such a trophy...
College Football, News College football’s 2015 season doesn’t officially start until September, but the national championship race is already underway with the start of spring practice. Offseason workouts aren...
MLB, News The last place the Texas Rangers expected to find themselves in 2014 was last place. But that’s where they finished after injuries conspired to knock them from favorites in the American League...
MLB, News The investments took a bit longer to pay off than expected, but the Angels finally justified the free-agent expenditures of recent winters and returned to the playoffs in 2014. They announced their...