Kickoff for college football’s 2013 season is under 50 days away. And soon enough, teams will start reporting for fall practice and the official preparation for 2013 will get underway. However, before getting to fall practice, there’s one useless event that college football has to get through: Media Days.
With the SEC Media Days taking place on July 16-18, the offseason for college football is officially over. While these events had some purpose 10 years ago, the media days are mostly a waste of time for learning anything that’s actually important for this fall.
To help save you time from wading through all of the canned quotes, Athlon Sports has prepared the 10 coaching clichés that fans can expect to hear over the next few weeks, and what the coaches really mean.
1. We want to be multiple on offense and aggressive on defense. Translation: I'm trying to be vague about our schemes. However, most of our opponents already know what we do.
2. The JUCO transfer we brought in was unblockable (or unstoppable) all spring. Translation: Our JUCO recruits looked good against air.
3. We have three quarterbacks competing for time this fall. Translation: We don’t have a starting quarterback.
4. (When asked about the schedule): We just take one game at a time. We don’t look ahead to October, November or December.
Translation: We pretty much know who's going to beat us, so we'd rather not talk about that just yet.
5. We just want to play hard and compete each week. Translation: We may not be very good this year.
6. The new strength and conditioning coach has totally transformed our team this offseason. Translation: Our team was really lazy and fat last year.
7. With the new defensive scheme we are flying around to the ball. Last year, we had to read and react. Translation: Our defensive coordinator wasn't very good last year. The players were confused, and the coaching staff didn't do a good job of relating the plays to what's happening on the field. They had no clue what they were doing.
8. We don't worry about preseason predictions. No one knows our team better than us. Translation: We really look at preseason predictions. But I'm afraid to tell anyone.
9. Our players have been working harder than ever this summer, and there’s great leadership from our seniors coming out of the workouts. Translation: At least our players aren't sitting around playing Call of Duty or getting sent home from passing academy camps.
10. (When asked about this year’s recruiting class): We signed a great collection of young players this spring. We love the group of guys we signed this year. And the star rankings meant nothing to us in our evaluations. Translation: I admit: I do look at the recruiting services. And truthfully, I wasn't very pleased with our recruiting class when we had a bunch of two-star prospects commit last year.
College Football, News Ohio State is the defending national champions and has a schedule that should allow the Buckeyes to defend their title with relative ease. Urban Meyer has one tough road game in...
College Football, News UCLA is coming off back-to-back 10-win seasons for the first time since 1997-98 and 18 starters are back from a team that nearly won the Pac-12 South last year. Coach Jim Mora has reeled in four...
College Football, News With the volume of high-powered offenses and talent at the skill positions every year, it’s not easy being a defensive coordinator or a player on that side of the ball. However, there’s...
College Basketball, News During the next few days, many of the headlines for this Final Four will surround the powerhouse programs and Mount Rushmore of coaches who will vie for the national title. All of that is true...
College Basketball Heralded University of Texas freshman Myles Turner announced on Monday via Youtube that he will enter the upcoming NBA Draft which takes place in June. Turner’s decision comes the day...