Kickoff for college football’s 2013 season is under 50 days away. And soon enough, teams will start reporting for fall practice and the official preparation for 2013 will get underway. However, before getting to fall practice, there’s one useless event that college football has to get through: Media Days.
With the SEC Media Days taking place on July 16-18, the offseason for college football is officially over. While these events had some purpose 10 years ago, the media days are mostly a waste of time for learning anything that’s actually important for this fall.
To help save you time from wading through all of the canned quotes, Athlon Sports has prepared the 10 coaching clichés that fans can expect to hear over the next few weeks, and what the coaches really mean.
1. We want to be multiple on offense and aggressive on defense. Translation: I'm trying to be vague about our schemes. However, most of our opponents already know what we do.
2. The JUCO transfer we brought in was unblockable (or unstoppable) all spring. Translation: Our JUCO recruits looked good against air.
3. We have three quarterbacks competing for time this fall. Translation: We don’t have a starting quarterback.
4. (When asked about the schedule): We just take one game at a time. We don’t look ahead to October, November or December.
Translation: We pretty much know who's going to beat us, so we'd rather not talk about that just yet.
5. We just want to play hard and compete each week. Translation: We may not be very good this year.
6. The new strength and conditioning coach has totally transformed our team this offseason. Translation: Our team was really lazy and fat last year.
7. With the new defensive scheme we are flying around to the ball. Last year, we had to read and react. Translation: Our defensive coordinator wasn't very good last year. The players were confused, and the coaching staff didn't do a good job of relating the plays to what's happening on the field. They had no clue what they were doing.
8. We don't worry about preseason predictions. No one knows our team better than us. Translation: We really look at preseason predictions. But I'm afraid to tell anyone.
9. Our players have been working harder than ever this summer, and there’s great leadership from our seniors coming out of the workouts. Translation: At least our players aren't sitting around playing Call of Duty or getting sent home from passing academy camps.
10. (When asked about this year’s recruiting class): We signed a great collection of young players this spring. We love the group of guys we signed this year. And the star rankings meant nothing to us in our evaluations. Translation: I admit: I do look at the recruiting services. And truthfully, I wasn't very pleased with our recruiting class when we had a bunch of two-star prospects commit last year.
College Basketball, News The Sweet 16 will feature its share of powerhouse coaches. Nine of the coaches in the regional semifinals have a grand total of 41 Final Four appearances. Five of those have five or more appearances...
College Football, News Derek Mason’s first season at Vanderbilt wasn’t easy. The Commodores did not win a game in SEC play and two of their three non-conference wins came by three points or less. However, as...
College Football, News There is a lot to like about the 2015 USC Trojans. Steve Sarkisian has a year under his belt as the head man at Heritage Hall and this roster is loaded with elite-level talent. The quarterback...
College Football, News The Heisman Trophy is the most prestigious award in sports and gambling is a huge part of the game of football. Put them together and you get preseason odds for the coveted stiff-armed trophy....
College Football, News Chris Petersen isn’t accustomed to losing. Washington lost more games in Pac-12 play in Petersen’s debut (5) than he did the three previous seasons combined at Boise State (4)....
MLB, News In the last five seasons, 21 of the 30 teams in MLB have appeared in the postseason. While this parity has been good for the game as a whole, the other side of the coin is that teams have had...