Get the Athlon Sports Newsletter
These player's family trees can beat up your family trees.
Many players taking part in the upcoming 2011 NFL Draft come from families rich in athletic tradition, whether it's Uncle Ahman Green, dad Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, or cousin Santana Moss. We examine 60 draft prospects to discover their amazing family ties to the world of college and professional sports.
1. CAM NEWTON – Auburn…Father, CECIL, SR., spent time in training camp with the Dallas Cowboys (1984) and Buffalo Bills (1985)…Brother, CECIL, JR., was an All-Ohio Valley center at Tennessee State (2005-08) and was signed as a free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars after the 2009 NFL Draft.
2. JAKE LOCKER – Washington…Father, Scott, and uncles, Mike, John and Patrick, all played football at Western Washington University, where Patrick still holds the career rushing record (4,049 yards)...Patrick, the Player of the Century at Western Washington, was introduced by Jake during his induction into the Pacific Northwest Football Hall of Fame in 2008…Cousin, Casey, is currently a safety on the Washington State football team.
3. GREG MC ELROY – Alabama…Father, Greg, Sr., played football at the University of Hawaii.
4. SCOTT TOLZIEN – Wisconsin…Older brother, Michael, played football at Air Force...Younger brother, Mark, is a junior quarterback for Holy Cross...Uncle, Mike Korf, played football at Tulane (1971-76).
5. HENRY HYNOSKI – Pittsburgh…Father, HENRY, SR., was a star fullback at Temple (1972-74) and spent one season with the Cleveland Browns after being selected in the sixth round of the 1975 NFL Draft...Sister, Mary Frances, played basketball at Lehigh University (2001-05)...Uncle, Chester, played baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals in the 1930s...Two cousins, Fred (Cincinnati, 1960-62) and Walter (Penn, 1952-54), also played college football.
6. MARK INGRAM – Alabama…Father, MARK, SR., played wide receiver at Michigan State before being drafted in the first round by the New York Giants (No. 28 overall) in 1987. He played 10 seasons in the NFL with the Giants, including the Super Bowl XXV championship team, Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers and Philadelphia Eagles.
7. JACQUIZZ RODGERS – Oregon State…Uncle, MICHAEL LEWIS, is a 10-year NFL veteran who currently plays safety for the St. Louis Rams…Older brother, JAMES, was a teammate at Oregon State and is also a 2011 NFL Draft prospect at wide receiver.
8. SHANE VEREEN – California…Father, HENRY, played wide receiver for UNLV before being selected in the ninth round of the 1979 NFL Draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers…Mother, Venita, also played tennis for the Rebels.
9. CHARLES CLAY – Tulsa…Father, Charles, played football at Arkansas (1975-78).
10. DA’ REL SCOTT – Maryland…Has two older brothers, Lee Scott, Jr., who played football as a defensive back at La Salle, and James, who ran track at Saint Joseph’s.
11. JONATHAN BALDWIN – Pittsburgh…Cousin, CHARLES FISHER, played defensive back at West Virginia (1995-98) before spending two seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals (1999-2000)…Father, Jeffrey, was a defensive lineman at the University of Pittsburgh (1981-84).
12. RANDALL COBB – Kentucky…Cousin, SHANNON MITCHELL, played tight end at Georgia and with the San Diego Chargers (1994-97)…Cousin, BILLY WILLIAMS, played wide receiver at Tennessee and with the St. Louis Rams (1995-96).
13. EDMUND GATES – Abilene Christian…Cousin, BERNARD SCOTT, was selected in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Bengals and has rushed for 620 yards over the past two seasons for Cincinnati. Scott was an All-American running back at Abilene Christian and holds several school rushing records.
14. NILES PAUL – Nebraska…Uncle, AHMAN GREEN, who also played at Nebraska (1995-97), rushed for 9,205 yards and 60 touchdowns in his 12-year NFL career as a running back with the Seattle Seahawks (1998-99), Green Bay Packers (2000-06, 2009) and Houston Texans (2007-08).
15. JAMES RODGERS – Oregon State…Uncle, MICHAEL LEWIS, is a 10-year NFL veteran who currently plays safety for the St. Louis Rams…Younger brother, JACQUIZZ, was a teammate at Oregon State and is also a 2011 NFL Draft prospect at running back.
16. COURTNEY SMITH – South Alabama…Uncle, Wayne, lettered three years in football at Tulane from 1961-63…Cousin, Carldell “Squeaky” Johnson, was a standout basketball player at Alabama-Birmingham.
17. LEE SMITH – Marshall…Father, DARYLE, was an offensive lineman at Tennessee (1983-86) before signing a free agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys (1987-88). Daryle also played with the Cleveland Browns (1989) and Philadelphia Eagles (1990-92). He finished his professional career in the CFL, spending time with the Toronto Argonauts (1993), Sacramento Gold Miners (1994), San Antonio Texans (1995) and Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1996).
18. JORDAN CAMERON – Southern California…Brother, Colby, is currently a quarterback at Louisiana Tech…Sister, Brynn, was a guard on Southern California’s women’s basketball team from 2005-2009.
19. VIRGIL GREEN – Nevada…Younger brother, Jeremiah, recently transferred to Nevada and plays linebacker for the Wolf Pack.
20. ROBERT HOUSLER – Florida Atlantic…Father, Robert, played college football at UTEP (1984-88).
21. MIKE POUNCEY – Florida…Twin brother, MAURKICE, was a teammate and fellow offensive lineman at Lakeland High School (FL) and Florida. Maurkice was selected to the Pro Bowl as a rookie center with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2010.
22. STEFEN WISNIEWSKI – Penn State...Father, LEO, lettered in football at Penn State from 1979-1981. He played four years with the Colts after being chosen in the second round of the 1982 NFL Draft…Uncle, STEVE, was a two-time first-team All-America guard during his outstanding Penn State career (1985-88) and was selected All-Pro eight times during his 13-year career with the Raiders. Steve was recently named an assistant coach on Oakland’s staff.
23. MARCUS CANNON – TCU…Uncle, Allen, played football at Vanderbilt (1981-82).
24. ANTHONY CASTONZO – Boston College…Father, Bill, Sr., played football at the University of Illinois…Brother, Bill, Jr., played football at Drake.
25. JASON KELCE – Cincinnati…Younger brother, Travis, was a teammate at Cincinnati (2008-present) as a reserve tight end…Uncle, Don Blalock, played defensive tackle for Purdue (1976-77)…Grandfather, Don Blalock, played football at Ohio University.
26. JOHN MOFFITT – Wisconsin…Father, Dave, and uncle, Steven, both played college basketball at New Haven from 1973-76…Another uncle, Jim, played football at Temple.
27. KRIS O’DOWD – Southern California…Grandfather, Jack, lettered in football at the University of Arizona from 1930-32.
28. NATE SOLDER – Colorado...Older brother, John, played outside linebacker for Stanford.
29. CHRIS STEWART – Notre Dame…Brother, George, was the starting center for the Texas Southern University basketball team.
30. CAM HEYWARD – Ohio State…Father, CRAIG “IRONHEAD” HEYWARD, rushed for 4,301 yards and 30 touchdowns in his 11-year NFL career with the New Orleans Saints (1988-1992), Chicago Bears (1993), Atlanta Falcons (1994-96), St. Louis Rams (1997) and Indianapolis Colts (1998).
31. CAMERON JORDAN – California…Father, STEVE, played college football at Brown University, then for 13 seasons in the NFL with the Minnesota Vikings (1982-1994), where he was a six-time Pro Bowl selection. He amassed 498 receptions for 6,307 receiving yards and 28 touchdown catches.
32. SAM ACHO – Texas…Brother, Emmanuel, currently plays linebacker at Texas (2008-present) and was a teammate of Sam’s…Mother, Christie, ran track at University College Hospital in Nigeria.
33. DAVID CARTER – UCLA…Brother, Chris, played linebacker at Fresno State and is also a 2011 NFL Draft prospect at linebacker.
34. DA’ QUAN BOWERS – Clemson…Cousin, Chris Franklin, played linebacker at Clemson (1993-94).
35. RICKY ELMORE – Arizona…Twin brother, Cory, is a student at Arizona and was a lineman on the Wildcats’ football team before retiring due to a medical condition.
36. RYAN KERRIGAN – Purdue…Father, Brendan, played football at Ball State…Brother, Kyle, was a member of the DePauw swim team.
37. STEPHEN PAEA – Oregon…Twin brother, Will, plays football at Foothill Community College, where their younger brother, Pora, also competes on the defensive line.
38. ROSS HOMAN – Ohio State…Cousin, BOBBY HOYING, played quarterback at Ohio State and was later drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the third round of the 1996 NFL Draft. He spent his six-year pro career in Philadelphia (1996-98) and Oakland (1999-2001)…Another cousin, Tom Hoying, also played quarterback and tight end at Ohio State…Younger brother, Adam, was a teammate at Ohio State (2009-10), competing at running back.
39. GREG LLOYD – Connecticut…Father, GREG, was selected in the sixth round of the 1987 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He spent 10 seasons at linebacker in Pittsburgh (1988-1997), playing in five Pro Bowls, before spending one final season with the Carolina Panthers in 1998.
40. CASEY MATTHEWS – Oregon…Older brother, CLAY, was a first-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft by Green Bay. Matthews was voted to the Pro Bowl at outside linebacker for the Packers and was an integral part of Green Bay’s Super Bowl XLV championship team…Father, CLAY, JR., played 19 seasons as a linebacker for the Cleveland Browns (1978-1993) and Atlanta Falcons (1994-96)…Grandfather, CLAY, SR., played four seasons (1950, 53-55) as a linebacker and offensive tackle for the San Francisco 49ers…Uncle, BRUCE, is a Hall of Fame offensive lineman that played 19 seasons (1983-2001) for the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans…Cousin, KEVIN, currently plays center for the Tennessee Titans… Eldest brother, Kyle, was a safety for USC’s 2003 national championship team…Another cousin, Jake, is the starting right tackle at Texas A&M.
41. BRIAN ROLLE – Ohio State…Cousin, ANTREL, is a starting safety for the New York Giants. A two-time Pro Bowl selection, Rolle played with the Arizona Cardinals from 2005 to 2009 before signing with New York…Brother, William, played football at Illinois State.
42. CHRIS CARTER – Fresno State…Brother, David, played defensive tackle at UCLA (2006-2010) and is also a 2011 NFL Draft prospect.
43. DONTAY MOCH – Nevada…Half-brother, Mekell Wesley, played wide receiver for San Diego State (2005-09).
44. MICHAEL MOHAMED – California…Cousins, Marty and Kyle, are both currently linebackers at Cal Poly.
45. MICHAEL MORGAN – Southern California...Brother, Steve, was a defensive tackle at UCLA from 1999 to 2002.
46. J.T. THOMAS – West Virginia…Father, J.T., Sr., was a linebacker under former head coach Don Nehlen at West Virginia from 1994-95.
47. ROCK CARMICHAEL – Virginia Tech…Cousin, DERRICK HAMILTON, was a third-round selection of the San Francisco 49ers in 2004. Hamilton, a former Clemson wide receiver (2001-03), spent three years with the 49ers (2004-06) and one season with Tampa Bay (2007). Hamilton ranks second in Clemson history with 167 catches, fifth with 2,312 receiving yards and is tied for fourth with 16 touchdown grabs.
48. CURTIS MARSH – Utah…Father, CURTIS, SR., played wide receiver at Utah and for three seasons in the NFL with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1995-96) and Pittsburgh Steelers (1997).
49. PATRICK PETERSON – Louisiana State…Several cousins are active NFL players: Oakland Raiders cornerback WALTER McFADDEN, Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback BRYANT McFADDEN, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver SINORICE MOSS and Washington Redskins wide receiver SANTANA MOSS…Brother, Avery Johnson, is a wide receiver at Blanche Ely High School who committed to Louisiana State as a member of the incoming 2012 class.
50. AARON WILLIAMS – Texas…Uncle, KEN TAYLOR, played defensive back at Oregon State (1981-84) and was a member of the 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl XX team…Father, Anthony, played linebacker at San Francisco State… Another Uncle, Eric Townsend, rank track at North Carolina State (1979-1982).
51. PRINCE AMUKAMARA – Nebraska...Mother, Christie, was a sprinter for the Nigerian track team at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles…Sister, Princess, ran track at Glendale Community College…Another sister, Precious, is a member of the Grand Canyon University track and field squad…Another sister, Promise, is currently a senior in high school and has committed to play for Arizona State’s women’s basketball team.
52. AHMAD BLACK – Florida…Cousin, Art Evans, plays cornerback at Tennessee.
53. CHYKIE BROWN – Texas…Sister, Dominique, played basketball at Huston-Tillotson.
54. JALIL BROWN – Colorado… Cousin, Kenny, played football at UTEP (1990-92), where he led the team in rushing with 454 yards on 77 carries in 1991.
55. BRANDON HARRIS – Miami (FL)… Brother, Tim, Jr., was a four-time All-America 800-meter sprinter on the Hurricanes’ track and field team (2005-08)…Father, Tim, Sr., compiled a 57-7 overall record as the head coach at Booker T. Washington High School (2003-07) and was named the USA TODAY National Coach of the Year in 2007. He served as Miami’s Football Operations Coordinator and Asst. to the Head Coach (2008-10) before returning to Booker T. Washington as head coach in 2011.
56. JERMALE HINES – Ohio State...Uncle, Joseph, played football at Penn State (1981-83) and was a member of the Nittany Lions’ 1982 national championship team.
57. DAVON HOUSE – New Mexico…Older brother, Tyreace, was drafted as an outfielder in the 49th round of the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft by the Atlanta Braves. After attending College of the Canyons, Tyreace was again drafted in the sixth round (No. 184 overall) of the 2008 MLB Draft by A’s and is currently with Oakland’s single-A affiliate (Burlington).
58. JOHNNY PATRICK – Louisville…Cousin, Dee, played football at Marshall before transferring to Bethune-Cookman.
59. JIMMY SMITH – Colorado…Four of his brothers have played college football: Ryan Smalls (Millikin), Terrance Smalls (Illinois and later Tulsa), Paul Smith (New Mexico) and Anthony Smalls (Idaho State).
60. JOSH JASPER – Louisiana State…Grandfather, Bill, was a three-year letter-winner at center for Tennessee from 1949-1951.
By Sports blogger Richard McVey, who is one-half of the fantasy football gurus The Mac Bros. (http://www.
By Sports blogger Richard McVey, who is one-half of the fantasy football gurus The Mac Bros. (http://www.