Athlon's weekly look at baseball's best and worst teams
Each week during the season Athlon Sports looks at the best and worst baseball teams in the league. Here's our MLB Power Rankings for May 7, 2012.
1. Dodgers - Lost seven of last 13.
2. Rangers - Lost five of seven and headed to Baltimore.
3. Rays - Orioles suddenly a huge series this weekend.
4. Braves - Freddie Freeman getting it done with bat and glove.
5. Cardinals - +62 run differential is best in baseball.
6. Yankees - Still in shock over losing Mariano Rivera.
7. Nationals - Nattitude alive and well in DC.
8. Orioles - Took five of six in New York and Boston.
9. Blue Jays - Need to gain ground at Oakland and Minnesota this week.
10. Indians - Won four of five with only loss in extra innings to Texas.
11. Tigers - Vaunted offense managed just 12 runs over last four games.
12. Reds - Mired within two games of .500 for past two weeks.
13. Diamondbacks - Need Paul Goldschmidt to unleash his power.
14. Phillies - Starting pitching will be good enough to keep them in hunt.
15. Giants - Leading run-producer Pablo Sandoval out for at least a month.
16. Mets - Frank Francisco has won or saved last four games.
17. Marlins - Giancarlo Stanton is beginning to heat up.
18. Brewers - Ryan Braun enjoyed three-homer day at San Diego.
19. A’s - Getting outhit and outscored, but still better than .500.
20. Angels - Pujols breaks through with homer, but hitting below .200.
21. Mariners - Kyle Seager providing most of the offense.
22. Rockies - Swept by Atlanta as three different pitchers got saves.
23. Astros - Jose Altuve should be NL All-Star second baseman.
24. Red Sox - Baltimore’s DH Chris Davis shut down hitters for two frames.
25. White Sox - Adam Dunn leads team with 23 RBIs.
26. Pirates - Batting .228 and averaging 2.8 runs per game.
27. Cubs - Cards’ Lance Lynn ended both of Cubs’ two-game win streaks.
28. Royals - Haven’t lost a series in two weeks.
29. Padres - Only National League team with single-digit wins.
30. Twins - Have won back-to-back games only once this season.