Get the Athlon Sports Newsletter
Rounding Up the Web's Best Sports Links So You Don't Have To.
This is your daily link roundup of our favorite sports and entertainment posts on the web for May 22.
• 50 United States Senators have signed a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to change the name of the Washington Redskins.
• President Obama had a little fun with outspoken cornerback Richard Sherman when the Super Bowl champion Seattle Seahawks visited The White House on Wednesday.
• Mexican national "soccer" team coach Miguel Herrera has banned all of his players from having sex during The World Cup. He does know it's being played in Brazil, right?
• Want a quick, by-the-numbers look at the Indy 500 this weekend? Here are 21 numbers you need to know about the Greatest Spectacle in Motorsports.
• The real star of the NBA Draft lottery was Milwaukee Bucks rep Mallory Edens. The daughter of team co-owner Wesley Edens went from 249 twitter followers to, at last count, over 43,000 followers in less than two days.
• Two things here: (1) Bill Goldberg played at Georgia because of a bottle of Wild Turkey and (2) Barry "Switzer would drink a 'Crown on the rocks within five minutes" of arriving on recruiting visits.
• Scout’s Jamie Newberg is producing a series of NFL Draft articles based on geography this week. It’s fascinating analysis of what cities, states and regions produce the most NFL talent. (Here's Part 1.)
• The Tampa Bay Rays threw a one-hitter against the Oakland A's on Wednesday. AND STILL LOST.
• The Cubs lack of support for Jeff Samardzija is growing comical. The Chicago pitcher tosses seven scoreless innings on Wednesday and lowering his league-leading ERA to 1.46. Yet, the Cubs managed to lose the game, pushing his winless streak to 16 consecutive starts. He has no wins in 2014.
• One of NASCAR’s long-time writers and aficionados has all of the fancy new Coca-Cola 600 paint schemes covered, including Dale Earnhardt’s new DC Comics Superman paint scheme.
I believe the great Dodgers announcer Charley Steiner says it perfectly, "I hate to break the news to Puig, but that's the third out."