Here on the Athlon Sports Cover 2 podcast, we’re taking a brief and infrequent break from our college football coverage to take a quick look at the college basketball season ahead.
As teams prepare for Midnight Madness and the start of basketball practice, hosts Braden Gall, David Fox and Mitch Light give a brief overview of the rankings in this year’s Athlon Sports College Basketball Preview.
The cast of characters at the top — Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and Maryland — are as close as they’ve been in recent years. Our team talks about who they picked at No. 1 and why, plus the major storylines in the upcoming hoops season.
Other themes that could shape the season ahead:
• Will replenishing one-and-dones at Kentucky and Duke keep them on top or will veteran squads at Maryland, North Carolina and Virginia challenge?
• Why this season will be the year of the bounce back program.
• Which teams outside of the Athlon top 25 could surprise.
• How rules changes will impact the season.
• Plus a break down of new coaches, coaches on the hot seat, top freshmen and more.
Send any ideas, questions or comments to @BradenGall, @DavidFox615 or @AthlonMitch or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The podcast can be found on athlonsports.com/podcast, iTunes, Stitcher and our podcast RSS feed.