As we all know, a majority of college football games are played on Saturday. But there are quite a few games this year that fall on Friday - 56 to be exact. That is the most ever, and hey, maybe that’s not a bad thing. A matchup on Friday (or a midweek game) provides Group of 5 teams more publicity. But these matchups also take away from high school games and prospective student-athletes with Friday Night Lights. However, at the end of the day, more football exposure, the better. Here are the best quarterback matchups that will be played on a Friday in 2016.
CFB's Top 15 QB Matchups for Friday Games in 2016
1. Jake Browning (WASH) vs. Luke Falk (WSU) 11/25
This mouth-watering Apple Cup matchup will display two of the finest arms in the country with Jake Browning and Luke Falk combining for 7,516 yards and 54 touchdowns in the air last fall.
2. Seth Russell (BAY) vs. Patrick Mahomes II (TTU) 11/25
Another Week 13 matchup, this Big 12 clash will feature a couple of gunslingers who are underrated runners. The pair rushed for over 400 yards each last season, respectively.
3. Kenny Hill (TCU) vs. Matt Davis (SMU) 9/17
Maybe the best matchup of dual-threats quarterbacks on Friday in 2016, expect Hill to rush for over 100 yards with the Mustangs’ front seven only returning two starters from last year.
4. Thomas Sirk (DUKE) vs. Lamar Jackson (LOU) 10/14
This game will display some of the best running quarterbacks in the ACC as both combined for 1,763 yards and 19 touchdowns on the ground last season.
5. Dakota Prukop (ORE) vs. Davis Webb (CAL) 10/21
Two former transfers look to improve their draft stock in the Pac-12 in what should be a high-scoring affair.
6. Quinton Flowers (USF) vs. P.J. Walker (TEM) 10/21
Some of the finest Group of 5 dual-threats square off in AAC action. Expect both to find paydirt on the ground.
7. Brett Rypien (BOISE) vs. Lamar Jordan (UNM) 10/7
These two each bring a different facet to the game - Rypien with his arm (3,353 passing yards) and Jordan with his legs (807 rushing yards).
8. Lamar Jackson (LOU) vs. Eric Dungey (SYR) 9/9
This will be Jackson’s first road test this fall and look for him to have a lot of rushing yards that night against a Syracuse defense that is expected to start two ends with no playing experience.
9. Tommy Armstrong (NEB) vs. C.J. Beathard (IOWA) 11/25
Two underrated quarterbacks in the Big Ten ought to slug out a traditional pro-style offensive game to close out the regular season.
10. Keller Chryst (STAN) vs. Jake Browning (WASH) 9/30
This will be Chryst's first time playing out of state as the Cardinal takes on Athlon's pick to win the Pac 12 (Washington) in Seattle.
11. Cooper Rush (CMU) vs. Billy Bahl (MIAO) 11/4
The only worthy MAC Friday game on the list, watch for Rush to lead the Chippewas to a strong finish in November.
12. Patrick Towles (BC) vs. Deondre Francois (FSU) 11/11
The only game the night of November 11, Towles will face the best defense he will see all year in Tallahassee.
13. Johnny Stanton (UNLV) vs. Brett Rypien (BOISE) 11/18
Will Stanton be comfortable come November in Barney Cotton’s offense? Rypien and Co. will be looking to win here to solidify a spot in the MWC Championship Game.
14. Jesse Ertz (KSU) vs. Keller Chryst (STAN) 9/2
The only Power 5 versus Power 5 Friday matchup in Week 1 features two unproven play-callers looking to start off the year on a high note.
15. Tago Smith (NAVY) vs. Quinton Flowers (USF) 10/28
Another AAC quarterback battle takes place and it will be enjoyable seeing the growth of Keenan Reynolds replacement, Tago Smith.