Every school would love to have a Steve Spurrier situation. The Ol’ Ball Coach famously won the Heisman Trophy as Florida’s QB before leading the Gators to a national title as head coach.
Currently, there are quite a few notable ex-QBs who coach their alma mater:
• Nebraska just hired Scott Frost, who led the Cornhuskers to a co-national title in 1997.
• Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh was Big Ten MVP under legendary coach Bo Schembechler.
• Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy shared a backfield with future Hall of Fame running backs Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas.
• Texas Tech’s Kliff Kingsbury broke NCAA records in Mike Leach’s “Air Raid” offense.
• Miami’s Mark Richt was on the same roster as star QBs Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde and Bernie Kosar.
• Oregon State’s Jonathan Smith was Fiesta Bowl MVP under coach Dennis Erickson. Ball State’s Mike Neu was MAC Player of the Year.
• Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst, Air Force’s Troy Calhoun, Western Michigan’s Tim Lester, Boise State’s Bryan Harsin, Hawaii’s Nick Rolovich, Utah State’s Matt Wells and Appalachian State’s Scott Satterfield also played QB before taking over as head coach at their alma mater.