Black History Month is an important one and every sport finds a way to get involved.
We're taking a look at some of the most inspirational quotes by African-American athletes to get into the spirit all February long. From tennis great Serena Williams and baseball Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson to boxing and civil rights icon Muhammad Ali, we're hoping these quotes will inspire and encourage you to do something great this month and beyond. Share them on social media, post them on the bulletin board, and inspire others both young and old alike.
1. "Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life."
— Jackie Robinson
2. "I think the good and the great are only separated by the willingness to sacrifice."
— Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. "It doesn't matter what your background is and where you come from, if you have dreams and goals, that's all that matters."
— Serena Williams
4. "Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
— Michael Jordan
5. "We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, discipline, and effort."
— Jesse Owens
6. "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion."
— Muhammad Ali
7. "Never let your head hand down. Never give up and sit down and grieve. Find another way."
— Satchel Paige
8. "Be the hardest working person you can be. That's how you separate yourself from the competition."
— Stephen Curry
9. "You have to be able to accept failure to get better."
— LeBron James
10. "Never give up, never give in, and when the upper hand is ours, may we have the ability to handle the win with the dignity that we absorbed the loss."
— Doug Williams