Insiders Weigh In
Tiger Woods changed the complexion of this year's Masters with a single tweet: "I’m playing in the Masters. Thanks for all the support,” he wrote on Friday. It seems unlikely that Woods will be a factor this week, but his decision begs the question: Will Tiger ever win another major? Athlon polled a number of golf insiders to get their opinion.
Jay Coffin, Editorial Director, Golf Channel, @JayCoffinGC
Jason Deegan, Senior Staff Writer and Golf Advisor with The Golf Channel online, @WorldGolfer
Steve DiMeglio, USA Today, @Steve_DiMeglio
Bob Harig, ESPN, @BobHarig
Dan Jenkins, Author, Golf Digest Contributor, @danjenkinsgd
Garrett Johnston, Golf journalist, @JohnstonGarrett
Dave Kindred, Golf Digest, Sports on Earth Contributor, @DaveKindred
Alex Miceli, Senior Writer, Golfweek, @alexmiceli
Dan O’Neill, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Dave Shedloski, Golf World, @DaveShedloski
Art Spander, Global Golf Post, @artspander
Will Tiger Woods ever win another major?
• There are too many issues with his mind and his body. His legacy as the world's second-best player is intact, and he's not catching Jack, so his legacy is already firm no matter what he does from here on out.
• He’s just too good to fade away so quickly.
• He still has time to back into one.
• There are too many question marks to overcome. When he won the U.S. Open in 2008, I’d have bet everything I own that he’d pass Jack Nicklaus’ record. Now, No. 15 seems improbable.
• Hate to be absolute; don't think he will, but ask me that question in a year.
• At this point, it's hard to predict Woods will break par again. But he still has special talent in there somewhere and I believe he will find it at a major at least one more time.
• Very difficult to answer given Tiger's current plight, but the guess here is that he will get things figured out eventually. And once he does, he's got plenty of time and ability to win another major.
• Tiger will win at least one more.