Tommy Lasorda is a baseball icon. He pitched for the Dodgers in 1954-55 and then joined the staff upon his retirement, working his way up the chain over the next decade. In 1976, he became the team’s manager, a role he would fulfill for the next 20 years. During that time, he won two World Series championships, four NL pennants and eight division titles. He ranks fourth all-time for postseason games won by a manager and managed the U.S. Olympic team in 2000, three years after being inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
The lovable Lasorda is also known for some of his incredibly memorable sayings and jokes. Today, on his 89th birthday, we look back at our 10 favorite Tommy Lasorda quotes.
1. My wife tells me, "I think you love baseball more than me." I say, "Well, I guess that's true, but hey, I love you more than football and hockey."
2. I love doubleheaders. That way I get to keep my uniform on longer.
3. I walk into the clubhouse and it's like walking into the Mayo Clinic. We have four doctors, three therapists, and five trainers. Back when I broke in, we had one trainer who carried a bottle of rubbing alcohol and by the seventh inning he had drunk it all.
4. Guys ask me, don't I get burned out? How can you get burned out doing something you love? I ask you, have you ever got tired of kissing a pretty girl?
5. Listen, if you start worrying about the people in the stands, before too long you're up in the stands with them.
6. My theory of hitting was just to watch the ball as it came in and hit it.
7. No, we don't cheat. And even if we did, I'd never tell you.
8. The only way I'd worry about the weather is if it snows on our side of the field and not theirs.
9. If you don't love the Dodgers, there's a good chance you may not get into Heaven.
10. The only Angels in Los Angeles are in Heaven, and they're looking down on the Dodgers.