New York Yankees legend Yogi Berra passed away at the age of 90. An 18-time All-Star and 10-time World Series champion, Berra was not only one of the most accomplished catchers of all-time, he will go down as one of the greatest to ever wear the famous pinstripes of the New York Yankees.
The Missouri native played as an outfielder and as a catcher with the Yankees from 1946-63, followed by a short stint with the Mets. In addition to his playing experience, Berra was a manager in Major League Baseball with the Yankees in 1964 and again from 1984-85. He also managed the Mets from 1972-75.
Growing up as a Red Sox fan, I despised everything about the New York Yankees. I didn't like the players, the managers, the fans or those pinstriped uniforms. I didn't like any of their history either. You could say — like many people — I was a Yankee hater.
But I never hated Yogi Berra.
Yogi was baseball to kids growing up in New York. Your grandpa would talk about him like they were friends. If you played catcher, you were the next Yogi Berra.
But Yogi was bigger than just baseball, largely due to some of the crazy-yet-poiniant things he would say. The zaney statements came to be known as "Yogi Berra-isms." Here are some of his best:
Yogi Berra's 10 Best Quotes & Sayings
• "When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
• "It gets late early around here."
• "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
• "The future ain't what it used to be."
• "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."
• "I really didn't say everything I said."
• "You can observe a lot just by watching."
• "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
• "If you don't know where you're going, you might end up someplace else."
• "We have a good time together, even when we're not together."
A bonus (and perhaps the most famous of his fantastic baseball quotes):
• "It ain't over till it's over."
Today, we're all sad it's over. Rest in Peace, Yogi.
— Written by J.P. Scott, who is part of the Athlon Contributor Network. Follow him on Twitter @TheJPScott.