Predicting the best fantasy drivers in Phoenix so you don't have to.
The 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season rolls on to Phoenix International Raceway for the Subway Fresh Fit 500. To help guide you through the 2013 Fantasy NASCAR season, Athlon Sports will be offering up our best predictions for each race. And because Yahoo's Fantasy Auto Racing game is arguably the most popular, we'll break down our picks according to its NASCAR driver classesâA-List, B-List, C-List.
So, without further ado, NASCAR scribe Dustin Long's fantasy predictions for Phoenix, ranked according to each driver's likelihood of taking the checkered flag (or at least finishing toward the front):
1. Jimmie Johnson â Has the highest driver rating (115.8) in the last eight years at Phoenix. Also has the best average finish among current drivers at 6.7, scoring 12 top-five finishes in 19 starts
2. Kevin Harvick â Has three top-four finishes in his last four Phoenix starts, including a win last fall.
3. Denny Hamlin â Took second in the fall Phoenix race (46 laps led) and won the spring race last year (61 laps led).
4. Jeff Gordon â In the last three spring races at Phoenix, heâs finished eighth, first and second
5. Brad Keselowski â Finished no worse than seventh in his last five races at tracks 1.1 miles and under last season, including a sixth-place finish at Phoenix.
6. Kasey Kahne â Joined Hamlin and Kyle Busch as only drivers to run every lap of last fallâs race in the top 15, finishing fourth.
7. Tony Stewart â Has never gone more than three consecutive races without a top-10 at Phoenix. Last two finishes there are 19th and 22nd.
8. Matt Kenseth â Last four finishes at Phoenix have been 14th, 13th, 34th and 12th. Heâs led 52 laps during that time, leading 49 of those laps in November 2011 race before being eliminated in a crash.
9. Clint Bowyer â Has more finishes of 20th or worse (eight) in his career at Phoenix than he has top-10 finishes (five) there.