Brett Favre has finally broken his silence relating to the ongoing investigation covering misappropriation of welfare funds in Mississippi.
The retired NFL quarterback has been in the news since last month, stemming from leaked text messages between Favre and former Mississippi nonprofit founder Nancy New.
Favre spoke Tuesday in an interview with Fox News, claiming that he's been "unjustly smeared" by members of the media.
"I have been unjustly smeared in the media. I have done nothing wrong, and it is past time to set the record straight," Favre told Fox News Tuesday according to the AP News report. "No one ever told me, and I did not know, that funds designated for welfare recipients were going to the University or me."
The text messages between Favre and New released last month seem to imply that Favre was worried about the media finding out about the arrangement.
Favre asked New if there was any way for the media to find out where the money came from, and how much.
Additionally, texts from New to Favre appear to show that former Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant was involved, supposedly using New's nonprofit to funnel funds to Favre to build a college volleyball stadium.
While Favre has not been formally charged, Nancy New has plead guilty to 13 felony counts of bribery, fraud and racketeering.