The 2022 NFL season marks a new chapter for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Coach Mike Tomlin's team finished 9-7-1 last season and took the final spot in the AFC playoffs before losing to Kansas City in the first round. However, some big changes are on the way from last year's team. Ben Roethlisberger's retirement means a new quarterback - Mitchell Trubisky, Mason Rudolph, or rookie Kenny Pickett - will take the reins in Week 1. Also, wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster signed with the Chiefs, and cornerback Joe Haden remains a free agent as of early May.
Unfortunately for the Steelers, reloading and contending for a playoff spot isn't going to be easy. In addition to the uncertainty at quarterback and the need to improve along both lines of scrimmage, Pittsburgh faces a difficult schedule. Can Tomlin work magic for the second year in a row and get the Steelers into the playoffs?
Pittsburgh Steelers 2022 NFL Schedule and Analysis
Week 1 - at Cincinnati - Sunday, Sept. 11 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 2 - New England - Sunday, Sept. 18 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 3 - at Cleveland - Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8:15 p.m. ET (TNF)
Week 4 - NY Jets - Sunday, Oct. 2 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 5 - at Buffalo - Sunday, Oct. 9 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 6 - Tampa Bay - Sunday, Oct. 16 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 7 - at Miami - Sunday, Oct. 23 at 8:20 p.m. ET (SNF)
Week 8 - at Philadelphia - Sunday, Oct. 30 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 9 - Bye Week
Week 10 - New Orleans - Sunday, Nov. 13 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 11 - Cincinnati - Sunday, Nov. 20 at 8:20 p.m. ET (SNF)
Week 12 - at Indianapolis - Monday, Nov. 28 at 8:15 p.m. ET (MNF)
Week 13 - at Atlanta - Sunday, Dec. 4 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 14 - Baltimore - Sunday, Dec. 11 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 15 - at Carolina - Sunday, Dec. 18 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 16 - Las Vegas - Saturday, Dec. 24 at 8:15 p.m. ET
Week 17 - at Baltimore - Sunday, Jan. 1 at 1 p.m. ET
Week 18 - Cleveland - Saturday or Sunday, Jan. 7/8 (TBD)
* According to NFL.com, Pittsburgh's 2022 opponents had a winning percentage of .512 last season (13th-toughest slate).
* The Steelers travel the fewest miles (6,442) of any team this year. Also, all 17 games will take place in the Eastern Time Zone.
* Pittsburgh opens the 2022 season on the road against division rival Cincinnati. This will be the Steelers' eighth straight year of starting a season on the road.
* The Steelers will play three games in the first 11 days of the season.
* Two division rivals (Cincinnati and Cleveland) are on tap in the first three games of the season.
* Matchups in Week 5 and Week 6 could be against the favorites in the AFC (Buffalo) and NFC (Tampa Bay) to play in the Super Bowl this year.
* Pittsburgh's bye week is nearly in the middle of the season. The Steelers play eight games before the bye and nine after.
* The Steelers have only one Monday night game - at Indianapolis in Week 12.
* Pittsburgh has two Sunday night matchups - at Miami and home against Cincinnati.
* The matchup against the Raiders on Dec. 24 is 50 years from the Immaculate Reception (Dec. 23, 1972).
* Pittsburgh plays two sets of back-to-back road games this year. The Steelers play at Miami and Philadelphia (Week 7 and 8), with the other coming in Week 12 (Colts) and 13 (Falcons).
* Although the Steelers play the Browns and Bengals early in the year, they will have to wait a while before playing the Ravens. Baltimore is scheduled to visit Pittsburgh in Week 14, followed by another meeting in Week 17.
* Three out of Pittsburgh's final five games come against AFC North foes.