The president's Twitter history about sports isn't very good.
Donald Trump is now president of the United States, and it’s no secret he knows how to utilize social media, specifically Twitter.
While general tweets about politics can create their own firestorm, Trump also has a collection of comments about sports. His sports interests are well publicized, as he played a key role in the USFL’s demise and recently tried to buy the Buffalo Bills.
After reading Trump’s Twitter history, he seems to have some terrible hot takes, bad scouting, and a lot of contradictory statements. Which, of course, we thought we'd share.
Here's a look at 14 that grabbed our attention:
1. It doesn't appear Donald has too good of an eye for quarterback talent:
Teams are making a big mistake not taking Johnny Manziel - he is going to be really good (and exciting to watch).— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 9, 2014
2. Only Muhammad Ali, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon...
Obama said in his speech that Muslims are our sports heroes. What sport is he talking about, and who? Is Obama profiling?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 7, 2015
3. Donald tweets Penn State should suspend its team in 2012. And then takes a completely different tone a year later:
The Football program at Penn State should be suspended.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 13, 2012
The wimps that run Penn State should be forced to resign (and be sued) for the pathetic settlement they made and destruction of great legacy— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 17, 2013
4. Tim Tebow was a great college quarterback. It was clear he was not a starter in the NFL:
I just don't know why some of these NFL teams with lousy quarterbacks don't give Tim Tebow a chance - what do they have to lose?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 29, 2013
5. The Jets are going to have a terrific season with Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow? They finished the season 6-10 and tied for last in the AFC East:
6. That's right, the beginning of the end for the NFL. Of course, Donald decided to keep tweeting and watching the NFL over the last two years and tried to buy the Bills in that same span:
The NFL has just barred ball carriers from using helmet as contact. What is happening to the sport? The beginning of the end.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 20, 2013
7. Manti Te'o and a fake controversy for the Heisman? Te'o was doing pretty good without any sympathy from voters and was already considered one of the top players in the nation:
I still say Te'o did this in order to get sympathy for the Heisman vote—thankfully he did not win.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 18, 2013
8. For the 2016 Super Bowl, Trump decided to pick both teams:
Donald Trump endorses Broncos, Peyton Manning in Super Bowl --> https://t.co/cOpliv8pWG— Yahoo Sports (@YahooSports) February 2, 2016
9. He seems to know a lot about legal issues and suing to get a favorable ruling...and Brady still lost versus the NFL:
Who ever heard of a legal conviction statement “more probable than not” against Tom Brady? Sue them, Tom, and make lots of $. @nfl— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 13, 2015
10. The NFL is definitely in trouble...according to Donald:
The NFL image is really tarnished! Now, if the sponsors start leaving and the ratings go down, the NFL will be in big trouble. Boring games!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 20, 2014
11. All of that time saved by not watching the NFL seemed to fuel that run to the White House:
I'm not going to be watching much NFL football anymore. Too time consuming, too boring, too many flags and too soft. Focus on other things!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 6, 2014
12. At least he's honest. Or didn't decide to pick both teams:
I picked seven Super Bowl winners in a row & would have been right last night had the refs thrown the flag.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 4, 2013
13. Sorry, Donald. Joe Flacco is not among the NFL’s top quarterbacks:
@MoeKharrazi I love all sports!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 29, 2013