by Matt Taliaferro
1. Tony Stewart Momentum has clearly swung in Smoke’s favor. He’s always been a streaky driver, and now that he’s “on” it may be hard for Carl Edwards to hold him off.
2. Carl Edwards Averaging a 5.6-place finish in the Chase, but Stewart is blowing Cousin Carl’s doors off in the wins department. Still, NASCAR’s points format rewards consistency over winning, so is it advantage: Carl?
11. Greg Biffle Five straight top-15 showings for Biffle and the boys. Finishing strong matters.
12. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Consecutive seventh-place finishes, the best we’ve seen in a few months out of this bunch.
13. Kurt Busch Parked brother Kyle got more camera time than 30th-place Kurt at Texas.
14. Martin Truex Jr. Bowyer’s teammate-to-be has three stright top 10s. Again, finishing strong matters.
15. Kyle Busch There comes a turning point in every driver’s career. Maybe this was Kyle’s.
Just off the lead pack: AJ Allmendinger, Marcos Ambrose, Jeff Burton, Mark Martin, Ryan Newman